Friday, June 10, 2011

This Before That 2011

Chelsey, The Paper Mama, recently posted her "This Before That" list, a list of hopes 
and dreams and accomplishments she hopes to achieve by this time next year.  She 
invited her readers to do the same, inspiring me to brainstorm on all the odds and ends 
I've been storing away in this always moving brain of mine.  I am a list maker by 
nature, Type A all the way, a lover of all things organization and efficiency related.  Lists 
are like wordful dream boards to me, serving as daily reminders to stay motivated 
and inspired.  Nothing makes me feel more productive than crossing items off and seeing 
the fruits of my labor.  So, after much contemplation, here is my This Before That list 
for 2011, my hopes and dreams for what I hope our little family can achieve together 
over the next year...

  • Take the GRE and begin pursuing my master's degree
  • Create a functional, organized office space for homework, crafting, blogging, etc.  Our current office space has no storage and is seriously lacking in square footage.  It's time to devote an area of our home for creating and studying.
  • Work through the "Love Dare" with Shawn, journaling through the whole process
  • Have one night a week where we completely unplug and spend uninterrupted time as a family.  No TV, computers, phones, or electronic devices of any sort.
  • Learn to get both kids dressed and ready, all of our things packed, and the entire family out the door in a timely fashion.  As of now, we are a late for everything and always forgetting essential items because we are so frazzled.
  • Get serious about my love for photography.  Learn to use my camera to its full potential, invest in a new lens, and stop being intimidated by Photoshop.
  • Continue working on our house, one project at a time.
  • Maintain a year-round garden rather than just our spring/summer project.  Grow throughout the year and eat seasonal foods.
  • Begin a new job with better hours, pay, and benefits.  I'm ready for the next step in my career and want to continue learning and growing as a nurse.
  • Get the entire family to the dentist, doctor's appointments, and eye exams.  Have all cars serviced and licenses renewed.
  • Have professional family photos taken
  • Take a sewing class and then sew clothing and household textiles, including an apron I've been wanting forever
  • Attend a ballroom dance class with Shawn, and then hopefully make it a regular outing thereafter
  • Get serious about our family budget.  Outline exactly how we hope to pay off our debt, formulate a practical solution, and then stick to the plan.  Be honest about what we can spend and stay devoted to the budget.
  • Lose at least 10 pounds.  Become more serious about my exercise regimen and make more time for myself and my health.  Get the entire family involved.
  • Learn how to make homemade jam and then stock our pantry with my very own canned goods.
  • Organize a monthly girls' day with my favorite ladies.  We have been planning a girls' group for years but can never stay committed due to our busy schedules.  Make the time!
  • Start taking my vitamins and supplements daily, no excuses
  •  Print photos out regularly rather than leaving them on the computer.  Organize them in albums, boxes, and scrapbooks.
  • Get serious about a compost pile.  Do more research and start a successful box to be used in the garden.
  • Volunteer my time with groups/companies/organizations I feel passionate about.  Get the whole family involved when possible.
  • Spend more time being grateful and satisfied instead of always looking forward for what's to come.  Continue striving to live in the moment.
So, there it is, This Before That.  Head on over to the Paper Mama to see lots of other 
great lists.  It's always inspiring to read what others have in mind, usually gives me a
few ideas of my own.  The list will continue to grow, I am sure, as I am a dreamer by
nature.  It will be exciting to revisit this months down the road and see where we are...

6 comments:

Hilary@BabyMooHoo said...

this is a great list! i'm also a list-maker, so when i saw this idea on the paper mama it made me want to do the same.

so many of these would be on my list, too! i just started composting (woohoo!), and i was literally JUST saying that i want to do some volunteering to set an example for natalie. plus, house projects, garden projects, sewing... i'm so there. okay, i'd better make my own list for real now. :)

Unknown said...

That's a great list. I need to focus on my own list-- I have a vision board, but I forget to look at it and really incorporate it into my daily life. Thanks for inspiring me to get back on it :)

Little Gray Pixel said...

"Get serious about our family budget. Outline exactly how we hope to pay off our debt, formulate a practical solution, and then stick to the plan. Be honest about what we can spend and stay devoted to the budget."

We need to do this. My list of things to do are all very whimsical (with the exception of getting my wisdom teeth pulled, that's just way overdue).

Caitlin said...

Great list...we need to learn how to budget too! Best of luck on achieving your goals! <33

Sara said...

Great list. I'm with you on working on an organized space for homework, blogging, working, and so on. Seems like it would make a big difference. Have fun making progress and marking them off one by one. :)

Sarah said...

Bleh GRE (I'm going to start studying for that too) BUT YAY Master's degree - that's so exciting. I want to see the professional photos too :D Because they're going to be GORGEOUS