Thursday, October 6, 2011

Up-Do for You


As a full-time home health nurse and full-time mama to two little girls, I wear my long,
thick hair up most days.  I find it challenging to maintain my personal style while also
being practical about the active, hectic lifestyle I am immersed in.  My everyday ponytail
has worn out its welcome and I've been on the hunt for an up-do that will show my hair
off while also keeping it out of my way.
Enter the sock bun: an easy, inexpensive way to give your hair volume and style while
also keeping it out of reach from sticky little hands.  The Paper Mama has a fantastic
tutorial on how to create a sock bun that I followed and will share with
you here.
Step One: Cut the toe of your sock off, creating a tube-like shape.  The sock will be
used to create volume.  Added bonus: this technique is also a no-heat curl method!
Step Two:  Gather your hair in a ponytail and secure it with a ponytail holder.  You
can variate your bun by placing your ponytail high or low, it's all about what look you
are going for.  With your ponytail in place, wrap your sock into a doughnut like shape
and place it on your ponytail.
Step Three:  Begin wrapping your hair using your sock/doughnut device.  There are
a hundred different videos on You Tube that explain this process in detail, but I just
followed the Paper Mama's video and practiced several times.  You can't really mess this
up: simply roll the sock down, wrapping your hair around it.
Step Four:  Tuck, adjust, voila!  Because my hair is naturally curly and has lots of layers,
I had to adjust the strays once my bun was in place.  Don't be afraid to use bobby
pins, molding cream, and hairspray.
Hints and Tips:
My hair styles best when it is dry and a bit dirty * Work a molding gel or styling cream
from root to tip before styling to get a good hold * Use a light mist of hairspray
after everything is in place to hold it there * I added a small braid to the side to keep
my shorter layers in place * This bun can be worn super tight and neat or messy and
natural, high in a top knot or low for a more formal occasion, it's so versatile * When you
pull your hair out of the sock bun, you will be surprised to find pretty, wavy hair!  Just
like the no heat method using a head band, the sock acts as a no heat curl device, taking
your hair from day to night!
I added a head scarf for a little flair...
A pretty flower for everyday wear...
Isabelle, my budding fashionista, couldn't wait to try the sock bun as well!  I plan to use
this technique for her ballet recital to create a show stopping look...
Head on over to the Paper Mama for more hair tutorials and creative ways to
express your style!

9 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

Very neat - definitely going to have to try it!

B E C K Y said...

Love this idea!
You have such a cute blog, I added your button :)

Becky @ Ballistic Gypsy

Anonymous said...

Oh how cute!! Im growing my hair out right now.. i will have to try this when i get a little longer :)

Unknown said...

So pretty! I love it. :)

Amy Nielson said...

im so impressed... i love it!

Kim Airhart said...

I love your "how to" posts. Great idea. I must try this.

Samantha K said...

Great how to post. I love how this makes a bun look.

Unknown said...

Great idea! Looks great, and I love the flower!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this I need new ideas for my hair!
Take care.