Monday, April 25, 2011

A Very Full Glass

I spent my Easter Sunday at the hospital, taking care of my patients and laughing with my coworkers.  I sometimes look at days like that as the "downside of being a nurse".  Having to be away from your family on days that are all about just that: being with your family.  Leaving out the presents and Easter baskets and slipping out the door before anyone awakens.  Not getting to see those smiling faces, not hearing the squeals of delight.
However, I'm not really a "glass is half empty" kind of girl.  It is my mission to make the most of each day, to learn from each experience, to use my moments to better myself and become closer to who I am supposed to be.  And so days like yesterday are not a downside, they are a blessing.  I was not able to spend the holiday with my mother, but I did have the privilege of caring for someone else's mother, someone whose children live far away and are unable to be present.  I did not get to be with my children or husband, but I did get to care for someone else's children, someone's dear husband.  And I did it all surrounded by a group of women who feel the same way.  A group of nurses who wore smiles as big and bright as the sun, who skipped through the halls with wishes of good will and merriment in their hearts.
 The comraderie that we experience on days like that is priceless.  We are a united force, determined to make the most of our time and thankful to be in the company of each other.  I am so thankful to not only have a job where I am able to care for those in need, but that I get to do that job in the company of such inspirational women.
Today, count your blessings and appreciate where you are.  It may not be exactly where you hoped you would be, but make the most of it anyway.  Life is precious and moments are epic, live them to the fullest.  We are placed in certain situations for a reason, the people around us were put there to teach us a lesson.  Enjoy your surroundings, share your joy and love, and make your positive mark.  Life is what you make it, so make it the best it can be! 

6 comments:

Sarah Ann said...

Happy Easter! You have a lovely blog over here! I'm glad to be following!

Olivia Grace said...

Thank you and welcome!!

Sarah said...

What a beautiful post! I have a few nurse friends, and it always warms my heart to see how happy they are when they go to work - glad to see it is the same for you! :D

Olivia Grace said...

Thank you, Sarah! It is a a true joy to take care of others:)

Olivia Grace said...

Thank you, Sarah! It is a a true joy to take care of others:)

Unknown said...

All of your nursing posts are making me miss work! I have been living overseas with my bf and can not work as a nurse here yet. I love nursing and miss having patients to take care of so much. You are right, even though it is sad to be away from your own family on holidays, there is definitely something special about spending it surrounded by the camaraderie of fellow nurses, and with patients who are also away from their own families.