Friday, May 17, 2013

Green Gifts


It's Friday, it's Friday!!  And, more importantly, it's almost the end of school and start of
sweet summer!!  We are all so excited about the end of school around this house that we
are about to burst!  No more homework, no more 6 am wake-ups and rushing to the bus
stop, no more evenings burning the midnight oil preparing projects.  We will have a
whole summer ahead of us to slow down just a little bit, something we are all in need of after
a very busy school year.
This weekend, we spent an afternoon preparing a gift for Isabelle's teacher in appreciation of
a wonderful school year.  Teachers are such an influential and essential part of our
children's development, spending their days nurturing and empowering our little ones.
They are literally preparing future generations for the big bright world and I don't think
they get the recognition they deserve.  I am so thankful for the amazing educators Isabelle
as had in her life: her teacher this year was the most patient, compassionate, and
inspirational woman.  I know that Isabelle will look back on the third grade and remember
her teacher with great admiration and respect.
As a small token of our appreciation, we made a little succulent garden in a ceramic pot with
a handmade card.  I love the idea of giving plants as gifts: it's something the teacher can
keep on her desk or at home and remember my child by.  I decided on succulents because
they are so easy to care for and require very little green thumb ability: an important
element when you're not sure whether the recipient of your gift is actually a gardener or not.  

003 008 002 006


We also made green gifts for Mother's Day and for my cousin's wedding.  I purchased 
ceramic planters at our local nursery and made mini-herb gardens that are perfect for 
kitchen windowsills.  I planted herbs that are common and easy to care for, herbs that 
my loved ones will be able to use on a daily basis like basil, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, 
and oregano.  For the wedding gift herb garden, we made a card with the inscription, 
"Marriage is like a garden".  I wrote a note on the inside about the need to nurture a 
marriage, to give it the attention it deserves, the importance of everyone involved to feel 
as though they are getting enough love and light.  I love the idea of this little garden finding 
a home with this loving couple as they start this new journey in their lives together.

007 012 017 023 

Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without 
feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity.  
~Lindley Karstens

Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Such thoughtful gifts! I will definitely keep the teacher one in mind for when Alexa goes to school.

Anonymous said...

Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this website. It's simple, yet effective.
A lot of times it's very difficult to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say that you've done a fantastic job with this.
In addition, the blog loads super quick for me on
Opera. Excellent Blog!

Here is my site; badania marketingowe

Olivia said...

Her teacher LOVED it! I will most definitely be doing this again in the future!