15 Things to Do in the Summer Hi there. It's Vanessa of Little Gray Pixel, stepping in for Liv while
she's taking a well-deserved summer vacay. If we've never met before, it might help you to visualize me,
the gorgeous gal in pink on the beach below. The one in the middle holding the 16-month-old. Alexa.
And then there's H, who's not pictured because he's taking the picture. The three of us live in Los
Angeles, where everything is way too expensive and commuting takes too long. But hey, the weather.
The weather is nice!
Speaking of the weather, things are heating up right now. I'm typing this with the window open, a fan
blowing directly at me and wearing nothing but my birthday suit. I jest. I'm wearing clothes. I'm told this
is a family blog, wink wink. Anyway, here are 15 things I try to do every summer to commemorate
my favorite season. Most of them are free or easy or both, so you should try them, too!
It'll be fun, promise.
1. Make a summer mix. I'm talking about some Seals & Crofts. Some Beach Boys. Some
Bob Marley. How about going old school and including some Montel Jordans? Every year since 2007
I have created a playlist in iTunes of the songs I'm feeling for the summer. I have several years' worth
of material, so if you are drawing a blank, hit me up. I'll let you know where it's at.
2. Eat ice cream before it melts. Just do it.
3. Play miniature golf. It's not summer until you spend
an evening sweating it out with the putt-putt crowd. Don't keep score. That's lame!
4. Dig your toes in the sand. If you're brave, you could have someone bury you.
5. Do a handstand in a pool.
6. Drink a cold, sweaty beverage in the shade.
7. Lie on a grassy knoll and watch the clouds. I see an elephant wearing a tutu.
8. Start a game of frisbee. Did you know I couldn't throw a frisbee to save my life until just recently?
I used to send my recipient on a wild goose chase with the trajectories of my tosses. It's amazing I ever
got asked to play frisbee with a handicap like that. Tip: It's all in the wrist, friends.
9. Wear flowers in your hair. Weeds, even.
10. Put some food on the grill and invite people over.
11. Watch "Independence Day" on the Fourth of July. Only Will Smith can yell at an
alien like that.
12. Pack a picnic.
13. Light up the sparklers.
14. Get your feet wet.
15. Watch "Dirty Dancing." You carried a watermelon? It's OK. Johnny Castle loves you,
anyway. What do you think? Anything else we should add to the bucket list?