Thursday, January 26, 2012

Little Mama

I called Isabelle to the dinner table the other night and she responded with "Just one
minute, Mama!  I'm breastfeeding my baby right now!".  I, of course, had to check in on
her and see what all this breastfeeding business was about.  There, in a quiet corner of
our living room, in the big lazy rocker recliner where I have nursed my own babies, was
my oldest daughter and her baby doll.  Isabelle held her favorite baby against her
chest, rubbing her back with the most peaceful look on her face.
"What are you doing?", I asked her.
"Nursing my baby.  She was a little fussy but she feels much better now", 
she calmly replied.
So natural, imitating her mama and the precious act she has watched over and over for
the last year.  She has always been inquisitive about breastfeeding, since before Brees
was born and I began telling her how mama was going to feed the baby.  She has always
been my biggest helper: bringing me water while I nursed Brees, reading us a story
and keeping us company, covering her sister with a blanket in case she was cold.  This
is a part of our family life, a process that takes place daily and therefore seems natural.
So I wasn't surprised to walk in and find her nursing her own baby.  There is a nurturing
side to Isabelle that just comes naturally, it is a part of who she is.
Both of our girls love their baby dolls, it's not something we've ever pushed on them
or decided for them, they just love carrying those babies around and being little mamas.
My mom says I was the same way.  I think that there's something special about
expressing the natural urge to nurture, allowing them the space and time to explore the
need to love and provide care.  It's something I understand completely: the
happiness obtained from giving of yourself to others.  I don't know what kind of women
my girls will grow up to be, I'm not sure what decisions they will make or where their
lives will take them.  But I promise, little ones, to always allow you the opportunity to
explore who you are, who you want to be.  I promise to hand you a burp rag and play
right along when you breastfeed your baby.
That's what mamas are for.



Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photos are full of lovely feelings and deep emotions. When I read this it brings tears to my eyes.
Love the conclusion, Isabelle and Brees are blessed to have each other and to have a mummy like you.
Have a beautiful day! Much love to all.

Lucy The Valiant said...

awwwwwww! So sweet!!

deanna@delirious-rhapsody said...

this post made me tear up just a bit. :)

Sara said...

What a sweet girl. So nurturing and caring like her mama. Kids are incredible.

-Sara-

Joanna said...

Oh my gosh! Sweetest thing ever!!

Amy Nielson said...

that is so SO sweet!