Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Girlfriend Guide: Kim from Our Life-Unscripted



Welcome to The Girlfriend Guide, brought to you this week by one of my favorite ladies:
Kim from Our Life-Unscripted.  Kim is an amazingly sweet and genuine person, down to
earth and full of positive energy.  She gives me so much support and encouragement and I
am so thankful for friends like her.  Today, she is sharing her story with us about her
best girlfriend: Mary.  Enjoy her lovely insight!
Kim
Our Life-Unscripted
Hi my name is Kim and I run a little blog called Our life- Unscripted...
1. Introduce us to your best friend!  When, where, and how did you meet?
My Best Friend is Mary. We met in 7th grade. We had one class together but didn't really
talk until we both got into trouble and had to attend Saturday school together. Her
Sister didn't pick her up after and she needed a ride home. She came up to me and asked for
a ride. We've been best friends ever since. We've been through a lot together and I am
proud that I can call her my best friend of 20 + years.
2. What is your personal definition of friendship?
To me a friendship is having someone that you can trust with your secrets. Someone who
is there for you when you need them and who you are there for as well. Friendship is
having someone you can laugh and cry with and someone who doesn't judge you.
3. What qualities do you look for in a girlfriend?
I like being friends with people that are able to laugh at themselves. Someone that
doesn't pretend to be someone that they are not. Someone that I am comfortable
being myself with.
4. How do you balance spending time with friends and fostering 
relationships with work and family?
I hold my friendships so close to my heart. I know how hard it is to
balance friendships/work/family/life. I used to get upset with Mary because she is a
working Mom and didn't have much time outside of work and her family.  I didn't
understand what she meant by not having time. That was until I started working. I told
her the other day that now I understand. We made a pact the other day to make sure
we make time for each other. I think it is so important to make time for your friends
no matter what. I try to host a lot of get togethers  at my house so that I can spend time
with friends and with my family at the same time.
5. What advice would you give other women about having healthy, 
happy friendships?
One thing that I have learned over the years is to listen and to not judge. I used to be
the friend that would give my opinions on everything that was going on in my friend’s
life. What that did was push people away. Now I listen and give advice when needed. I try
not to judge my friends or anyone. People need to make their own mistakes. It is not my
place to push my opinions on anyone.
6. How has having strong friendships enriched your life?
I feel like God has blessed me with wonderful people in my life. I know that my friends
are there for me when I need them and that is the greatest feeling in the world.
7. What is your favorite girlfriend memory you have shared?
There are so many memories but if I had to pick just one with Mary it would be the birth
of my son. She was right by my side the entire time. She is the true definition of what a
Best Friend is. I love her and thank God everyday that he brought her into
my life.
Thank you so much for sharing, Kim!!!  Lifelong friendships like the one you share with
Mary are truly amazing!  I loved looking through the photos of the two of you sharing
such important life events with each other!
If you are interested in participating in the Girlfriend Guide, contact me at the
email address below for more information!
vasqueztribe@yahoo.com

4 comments:

Kim Airhart said...

Ohhhhh thank you for posting this. How exciting. Not sure why I picked pictures where I look drunk. Lol just kidding. Love it. Thank you sweetie!

Blogs said...

so sweet! makes me miss my girlfriends:)

Amy Nielson said...

so sweet! i love these posts. i promise i WILL get you my post soon ;)

Unknown said...

These posts always make me reflect on my relationships with my girlfriends, and how lucky I am to have such special, amazing women in my life. PS: Thanks for always stopping by my blog with your far too sweet comments, they always make me smile :)