Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Waiting on my Weight

So, my post-baby weight loss get-my-body-back mission is, well, going. I gained a total of 30 pounds while pregnant and since having Brees, I have actually lost 33 pounds. I am working out 3-4 times a week, depending on how motivated/exhausted I am. I am doing a mix of cardio and weights, walking, and ballet exercises. Two of my new fav workout videos are "Xtreme Timesaver Training" with Jackie Warner and "The Inside Out Method" with Bob Harper. Neither of these is for beginners so BEWARE. They are both an intense mix of cardio and strength training, exactly what I need to get my muscle tone back on track.

I definitely notice a difference between this postpartum period compared to my first. The weight came off super easy thanks to breastfeeding but my muscle tone and belly are going to take a little longer than the first time around. But really, I just gave birth to a 9 pound 11 ounce baby. What do I really expect? You can't go from this to a 6pack in a matter of minutes:

What a big beautiful belly!! Thankfully, I survived yet another pregnancy without a single stretch mark and my postpartum skin has been clear and maintained a healthy glow. I am still taking my prenatal vitamins religiously and drinking tons of water. Breastfeeding forces me to keep my diet in line and keeps my health habits intact.

I must admit, though: we've been cheating on our healthy eating habits lately:( It's Mardi Gras time here in Louisiana which means one thing: King Cake! One of my favorite indulgences, this rich, gooey cinnamon and cream cheese filled confection only comes around once a year. Just so happens that this year it comes right when I'm trying to be good! Also, Isabelle has taken up a serious interest in baking. Hey, if our little girl wants to cook Mama and Daddy brownies every night, I'm not going to suppress her creative urges!!

Which brings me to Project 31:

Day 6. Jaded beauty. Has the world’s definition of beauty ever jaded you?

Yes, yes it has. I am jaded in thinking that I have to lose all of my baby weight in record time. I read magazines and see celebrities on the red carpet days after having a baby a part of me thinks that I should be able to do that, too.

But that's ridiculous and I know that. I am a real woman with real curves. I am southern to the bone and food is an art to my family and I. We gather around the kitchen table and have some of the best meals imaginable. And I don't want to give that up just because society has set unrealistic expectations for me. I don't want to teach my girls unhealthy habits and give them negative ideals regarding food and body image. I want to eat healthy, exercise, get rest, and enjoy myself. Eat a little king cake if the occasion arises, enjoy a Superbowl party without counting calories.

So, I am waiting on my weight. Working hard but playing a little bit, too. And that is a-okay with me.

No comments: