Monday, February 28, 2011

What's in my Bag?

One of my favorite columns in US Weekly is the "What's in my Bag" segment. Danielle from over at Sometimes Sweet just ran a "What's in my Diaper Bag" post and invited her readers to do the same. What a great way for us Mamas to share our secrets on what we can and can't live without! I think there's a lot you can tell about a lady from what she totes around in her purse, don't you?

1. Since Brees is only three months old and therefore still requiring a ton of supplies, I am full-time carrying a diaper bag at this point. Why fight it, right? This particular diaper bag is a Skip*Hop messenger bag and I adore it. The size is not overwhelming to carry around yet it is full of compartments and pockets and can carry a crazy amount of goods. It's made of a very durable canvas that can be easily cleaned. The strap is my favorite part: it is designed to hang securely on your stroller or shopping cart, making it super convenient for you to be hands free but leaving the bag very accessible.

2. This is a quick change diaper kit made by Kalencom, a local company from New Orleans. I love supporting local Louisiana merchants and try to do so as much as possible. This nifty little changing station stores diapers, wipes (it actually comes with a wipes storage box), and has a front pocket for whatever other goods you may need. It is eco friendly and is AZO phthalates free. It's long enough that no part of your baby has to touch any public bathroom germiness. I love this kit so much because it holds enough that if I am going somewhere close by and don't want to take my whole diaper bag, I can just grab this convenient little tote and roll. If you can't tell, I really get off on efficient, organizational tools.

3. Extra outfits for the angel. Learned that one the hard way.

4. A book for Belle and a book for me. We are a reading family and we always have books in tow. Great way to pass the time in a doctor's office, distract crying babies, or occupy a grumpy 6 year old.

5. My new Udder Cover , a great little nursing cover-up that is not only big enough to cover both me and baby but also includes a nifty rigid neckline that allows you to peek in at baby without compromising your modesty. Also pictured here is my fav swaddling blanket, made by aden+anais. Super soft, big enough to swaddle baby comfortably, and way multi-purpose. We use ours not only as a blankie but also as a cover-up and sun screen.

6. Lip gloss, cell phone, rosebud salve, and Merle Norman mineral makeup on the go: because Mama needs a little love, too.

7. Overstuffed, busted up wallet that desperately needs to be replaced. Also, anti-bacterial hand moisturizer and spray-on hand sanitizer. I'm a nurse, we like clean hands.

8. Boudreaux's Butt Paste (another Louisiana gem), baby lotion and powder, and deodorized trash bags for baby hygiene on the go. Also, extra breast pads and Lansinoh cream for Mommy, cause you just never know what the boobs have in store. Literally.

So there you have it. I have no idea how this went from a what's in your bag to a full-on product review but as many of you know, I am pretty darn thorough. What does my bag say about me? That I like to be prepared, I value organization, and I really dig cleanliness:) You can take the nurse out of the hospital, but you can't...you know.

Now, on to Project 31!!

Day 3. Who is someone you know who inspires beauty?

This is my beautiful cousin, April. Beautiful inside and out.

She is a girl's girl, a wonderful conversationalist, witty, ridiculously smart. She is the mother to three beautiful boys, all under the age of three. Yet I have never seen her stressed, never hear her complain. She LOVES, loves with all her heart. She cares about people, deeply, and is so warm and real. She has the sweetest laugh and the biggest smile and when she gives you a compliment, of which she does often, you know that she is being sincere. Her words are encouraging and her actions selfless. She is an elementary school teacher and I imagine her students must think she's the cat's pajamas. She loves to let loose and have a good time but is just as content cuddling on the couch with her hubby and three little bears. She always looks effortlessly chic and I secretly want her hair.

When both of her parents died in a tragic accident a few years ago, I watched her evolve into a strong, fearless woman. She took in her little sister and together they have carried on with their lives in a way that I imagine makes their parents sing. When she could have buried her head and heart in sorrow, she instead chose to live her life to the fullest, to carry on the name of her parents, to enjoy the blessings God has given her, regardless of her loss. People tell her that she is just like her mother, and I can not imagine a better compliment to give her as her mother was an angel.

My cousin April is beautiful inside and out, the kind of woman I want my little girls to look up to. She is kind with her words and selfless in her actions. She looks at life as an adventure and her energy positively infects every room. She inspires beauty not just because of her obvious good looks, but because of the way she gracefully lives life. Every woman should be so lucky to know a spirit such as her.

No comments: