Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bringing Out The Kid Again


This weekend, the sun came out, our kids slept in until 8 each morning, and I told the
laundry to kiss off.  My cousin threw the most amazing carnival themed birthday party for
her two year old son, Graison, and she doesn't even have a Pinterest account.  There was
a petting zoo with a baby goat and pony rides, an inflatable jumper that reminded me to get
my butt back into the gym ASAP, and a balloon animal making clown that made Brees
cry every time she looked in our direction.  The adults had just as much fun as the
kids, holding an extremely competitive sack race that had the whole party laughing for
hours.  It was the sweetest little backyard extravaganza I've ever been to and I admire
my cousin so much for all her creativity and hard work.  Sunday afternoon brought this
year's first Mardi Gras parade and a BBQ tailgating party with my co-workers.  We caught
lots of beads and filled our bellies up with candy, all in the company of good friends.
Shawn and I couldn't help but reflect on how our definition of a "fun" weekend has
changed since becoming parents.  The first four years of our marriage, it was just the two of
us.  We partied in the big city until the wee hours of the morning, dancing and drinking
and wild hearts floating free.  I'm so thankful that we had that time, those years of
no responsibility, no worries or expectations.  Now, we experience fun times not just
through our own interests and emotions, but through the eyes of our girls as well.
Hearing them laugh, joining them as they scream, "Come jump with me, Mama!!": it brings
out the kid in you.  I've learned to let certain inhibitions go, not caring how ridiculous I look
as I hop along in a sack race but laughing instead because it's just so damn hilarious.
This family life: it's brought out good energy in us, made us more comfortable in who we
are.  I'm thankful for weekends like these, weekends where we let our hair down and enjoy
a good hot dog in the warm January sun.  It's the little things, you know?
008 019 024 029 031 036 220 222 040 paradeCollage Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

1 comment:

Deanna Fike said...

i love your top! and the expression on the guy's face that is in the sack hop with you guys is hilarious!


and i totally know what you mean about how 'fun' has changed since you've gotten married.