Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wordful Wednesday

I don't craft, I don't sew, I know nothing about painting.  What I can do, however, is sit at 
the kitchen table with my daughters, surround them with all the crayons, markers, 
magazine clippings, and glitter I can find, and let them go.  I can pour myself a cup of tea, 
read a book between helping them cut and paste, and take lots of photos of these 
precious moments.  There came a time in my mothering journey where I let go of the idea 
of being the Martha Stewart mom, that's just not me.  My Pinterest boards are full of 
recipes and home DIY projects, things I know I will actually be able to accomplish 
without burning a hole in my hand with a glue hand that I don't know how to use.  I'm 
not disappointed by that reality or even embarrassed by it: how liberating!  I'm a 
"throw everything on the kitchen table and make some shit out of it" kind of mom.  
Those walls I used to obsess over being perfectly cleaned and maintained: they are 
now covered in hand prints and psychedelic colored Barbies.  The floors I used to 
vacuum almost daily, stressing over stains and scratches: they are now littered with 
Cheerios and unmentionable debris.  I read a quote today that read "Excuse the mess, 
the children are busy making memories": this really sums it all up.  Make lots of messes, 
little girls.  Color outside the lines and break a few rules now and then.  I can't teach you how 
to knit or make pom poms out of paper, but I can teach you how to laugh and sing and 
dance like no one is watching.  That's the kind of mom I am, the kind of mom you 
have inspired me to be. 


025-1 023-1 034 031-1 029
024-1 033 035-1 038 036-1 037-1 041 


Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

8 comments:

Randalin said...

I like your style. I don't have a crafty bone in my body either. How great is Belle's collage? I totally knew she was a Belieber.

Wendy said...

That one picture of Brees holding a sticker and looking down to the side? So squishy! I just want to squeeze her. Love you girls.

Deanna Fike said...

loved this post! you are the perfect mama for your two little gals. :)

Marie said...

And I think it's even better...........Let kids express who they are instead of having them making stuff they don't like. I am a total mess when it comes to arts & crafts, but I love seeing all these papers, glitters and the smile on your girls face!
Love
Marie

Sara said...

Yessss! I do love to craft and all, but messes are where it's at. How can anyone have fun if someone insists on keeping things obsessively tidy all of the time? You are such a good mama.

Carrie said...

Love the photos! This reminds me of our kitchen table too! And no, I'm not a Martha Stewart kind of mom either :)

Vanessa said...

That's my kind of crafting! Belle's going to have her teen idols collaged all over her bedroom walls, am I right? At least, that's what I would do if I were a preteen and I was totally in love with NKOTB. Oh, wait.

MalloryMusing said...

I'm a little in between on this- no quite Martha but pretty handy with a glue gun! I love the Beibs collage- it feels like a glimpse into my future.