Thursday, July 28, 2011

Aging Gratefully


This weekend we celebrated my 32nd birthday with a good 'ole fashioned slumber party
with some of my very best girlfriends.  It was an amazing, relaxing weekend filled with
soul baring conversation and tummy aching laughter.  We ate until our bellies almost
burst, stayed up late into the night, and reflected on how lucky we are to have each other.
I can not imagine a more perfect way to celebrate my special day.
{Mandy, Summer, Liv and Belle, Meredith, Jessica}
As the years go by and our lives become more and more full due to growing families
and careers, these moments together do not come as often as we would like.  So, when we
are blessed with the opportunity to spend time together and have a night to just be silly
and free, we make the absolute most of it.  We always pick up right where we left off,
inside jokes flying across the room, secret code words and glances only we could
understand.  I am so blessed to have such amazing friends, to share this love with
women who love me for who I am.

We spent Sunday afternoon sitting around the dining room table, making jewelry
while Jessica's 8 year old son, Cade, played photographer and took a million photos of us.
I love these pictures not only because of the people in them, but because they are from
his innocent perspective.  This is our day, captured by the heart of a little boy watching
his Mama and his honorary aunts celebrate their friendship.
With each passing year, I become more aware of who I am and what kind of mark I want
to leave on each day.  I am surrounded by friends and family who motivate and inspire me
to be the happiest version of myself.  My life is not perfect and neither am I, but I am
wise enough at 32 to know that perfection is over rated.
Being yourself is always your best bet.

11 comments:

deanna@delirious-rhapsody said...

you are gorgeous. you have one of the warmest, most friendly smiles that i have ever seen. :)

happy belated birthday! i'm glad you had such a great time with your friends.

Caitlin said...

Looks like a total blast. You are so fortunate to have such amazing friends and they are lucky to have you! Happy belated birthday!

MJ said...

looks like a really fun time! i too just turned 32 (beginning of july) and i find that every year i am happier and happier with my age. i love being in my 30's. happy belated birthday!!!

Sara said...

Happy belated birthday pretty lady. What a wonderful way to celebrate.

Kim Airhart said...

What an amazing way to spend your birthday. I love slumber parties. My girlfriends and I have been trying to plan one for a long time. It looks like you all had a great time.

Moments and Impressions said...

I love that... perfection is overrated. I love my thirties. I think I am so much more grounded and enjoy life more. What amazingly beautiful friends you have! Happy Birthday.

sara sparkles said...

Happy Belated Birthdayy!!!

I am so incredibly envious of your circle of girlfriends! one day, once we finally stay in one place for a while I hope to be so lucky! :)

Luisa Rodríguez said...

Beautiful blog, beautiful pictures.
I'll be stopping by more often. Loved it! :)


_____________________________________
http://mustbeliberating.blogspot.com/

Megan said...

Awwww, this is so adorable!! What a fun idea for a birthday party! It's such a blessing to have great friends!

Lucy The Valiant said...

Happy late birthday!! It looks like a ton of fun!

Anonymous said...

I so missed you that night! After hauling the kids all over kingdom come I was so exhausted!!! I hope the enchiladas turned out delicious and it looks like y'all had a great relaxing time... Love u!